Thursday, June 21, 2012

All American dessert - cherry pie!

As you may know, my son Ted just returned from Bahrain, where he spent the last 9 months.  He is moving to Washington D.C.  and when I asked him what he would like for dinner his last night at home, he replied

AN ALL AMERICAN COOKOUT!

Apparently, he became a little tired of falafel during his stint in the Middle East.  

Along with burgers on the grill, corn on the cob, and potato salad, we topped off the meal with a cherry pie.  




Cherry pie is a once a summer event here, because I loathe pitting cherries.  I also loathe cherry pie filling out of a can, so pitting is the lesser of two evils.  
 I pitted, mixed, and rolled the once a year treat.  
I always add some almond extract to the cherries because it greatly enhances the flavor.  With every pie I make, I brush the top with cream and sprinkle with sugar to make a nice brown shiny crust.




See?



Ever wonder what happens when you mix psoriatic arthritis and cherry juice?  

Rocking the look.



2 comments:

  1. I am glad he is home. Is there another son still out there? Hope not. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! My mother made the most incredible cherry pie I've ever tasted. I'm sure yours is delish too. What we do for our kids, huh? I so hope you're feeling somewhat better.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete