Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Rainbow drink




I thought I had such a great idea for making a rainbow drink, but it was one of my more epic failures.  I was in fact horrified at the mere thought of immortalizing it in a photo.  
My big idea was to take fruit sherbets and sorbets in rainbow hues, and put little scoops of them in a champagne glass and then filling it with sparkling apple cider.  I was sooooo proud of my big idea!

Unfortunately, it looked a lot like swamp water.
SHREK SWAMP WATER to be exact.  

My daughter said it tasted good, and Mr. Enchanted guzzled one down, but not only was it not the pretty rainbow I envisioned, it looked downright disgusting.  

I put on my thinking cap and came up with PLAN B.
I have been doing that a lot lately.  

I jumped in my car, drove to the grocery store and bought a bag of multicolored popsicles.  
Yep, $1.98 of artificially flavored frozen crap.  
But, it worked.....like a charm!





All I did was smash the popsicles with a mallet, and then layered the colors in the champagne glass.  There were no green ones in the bag and that did kind of bug me (being a rainbow aficionado and all), but at least it didn't look like swamp water.  Topped with the sparkling cider, it was downright delightful looking!

And if I had used dry champagne instead of cider, it would be perfectly wonderful for whimsical adults - like me.  




My rainbow cookies made for a very colorful treat!  
I will post a video tutorial tomorrow on how to make the rainbow effect on the cookies.  
It is easy and fun - two of my favorite things!


10 comments:

  1. Ohhh, I'm loving the champagne idea! Visiting from Fluster Buster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they say that sometimes one idea leads to another. It was a good idea and you just needed to tweak it. Looks great.
    Your cookies look awesome!
    Bev @ eclecticredbarn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful drink and cookies, Lisa. Very creative. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those cookies and the colors are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The champagne idea sounds great. Thanks for stopping by my site. Am now GFC following you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful...I'm looking for the pot of gold!

    I'd love for you to share this at my March Madness Party.

    http://4you-withlove.blogspot.com/2013/03/march-madness-party-link-up-begins.html

    Happy Hump Day!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a lot of fun in a champagne flute! Very pretty, but what I loved the most is that you kept it real by telling us about your epic fail!!! I'm now following you! Came hopping over from 4You with Love Party. Have a great weekend!
    Lizy@http://justdipitinchocolate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool (and delicious) idea! And thanks for telling us about the swamp water - sometimes setbacks are just what we need to spur us in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for linking up at Fluster's Creative Muster. Hope to see you next week!

    Robin @ Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, how clever you are to use popsicles! I know what I'll be drinking this Sunday! (St. Patty's day!) Thanks for sharing at March Madness!

    ReplyDelete