Monday, September 12, 2011

Fall baking



Lots and lots of  baking in the last several days.  Mercifully, my bedroom carpeting is becoming dryish and the outside temperatures have gotten warm enough for me to justify turning on the air conditioning, so getting icing to set is MUCH easier. 

Here are a couple of pictures of the cookies requiring a blow dryer late last week.  First are cookies for Alec's football team. 



Believe it or not, the rain stopped shortly before the start of the game and it wasn't cancelled.  And I got the 60 plus cookies dried just in time.  And the blue devils won.  Whew. 

These next slow to dry apron cookies were for my son Ted's girlfriend Katherine's birthday.  Adorable Katherine is an apron lover,  so it was cut, bake, decorate, and blow dry - apron cookies sent off to Oberlin.




Has anyone else noticed a surge in apron popularity?  Katherine would have fit right in with the 50's or even 30's with her fashion sense - like I said she is ADORABLE. 




On to the fall baking with the AC on and no blow drying involved!  Project number one was owl cookies with stained glass tummies.




LOVE doing stained glass cookies and I highly recommend it for baking with children.  All you do is make a cut out in the center of the cookie before baking, smash up some hard candy and put it in the cut out area and bake as normal. 




Just remember to use parchment paper on the baking sheets.  Once the cookies cool you just peel them off the parchment - no muss no fuss.  To get the color I wanted, I used root beer barrels and lemon lollypops.  Oddly enough, it tasted good together.

 I am addicted to the food network program called Chopped - as I was preparing the unlikely bedfellows of lemon and rootbeer I kept imagining Ted saying "chefs, in your baskets you have rootbeer barrels, duck liver, lemon lollypops,  and Swiss cheese.  You have 20 minutes on the clock".

 I didn't have fat owl cookie cutter, so I used an apple cutter turned upside down and it was the perfect shape. 




Next, I made leaf cookies.  I wanted a simple color combo, so I used wilton copper and detailed the cookies in black.




I also used just the tiniest amount of copper disco dust on them.  For the record, I am in love with this dust.  It is GORGEOUS.  I also think a little bit of sparkle goes a long way on a cookie.  Just a touch is magical.




So pretty added onto team owl.




Time for cupcakes to take to Tony's mom's house for dinner.  I wanted to follow the same color scheme as the cookies, so I made chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting in three shades - light copper, a more vibrant copper/orange, and a deep rust.




I used a wilton grass tip (like I made my starry night cake with) to make a mum and a petal tip to make the others.   I really like the three colors together.




And if you liked the leaf cookies, I am making one dozen of these in your color choice for my give away which ends tomorrow.  Leave me a comment that you are following, and the cookies, kitchen towel, vintage looking cupcake liners, and orange sprinkles are yours.  And because only six people have entered, your chances of winning ARE REALLY GOOD.
Contest closed and congrats to Barbara F!

Linking up with
Chic on a Shoestring
Foodie Friday
My Romantic Home
Miz Helen's full plate Thursday
Between Naps on the Porch
Nest of Posies Fall Festival
Savvy Southern Style
Hope Studios
A Stroll Thru Life
Sweetology 101
Tuesday Talent Show
Sunday Showcase
Stonegable on the Menu Monday
Dittle Dattle amaze me Monday

15 comments:

  1. Everything turned out great, love the owls! The only thing you forgot to mention about what Ted would say is "in the dessert round"... It can be a fun show:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love all the fall colors! The owls are my favorite...of course I am partial to owls :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOWSY -- you have been one happy baker! I can't believe all the things that you have turned out. My favorites are the aprons, owls, and leaves. Never thought of combining Royal Icing and stained glass. Your comments about the show are too funny! What temp. do you put your blow dryer at? I have always air dried them. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in awe! You have really been busy! Now you've got me wanting to do stained glass cookies! I've never done those yet. Sounds fun!
    The leaves, owls, and cupcakes so beautifully say "fall"! The aprons are absolutely adorable! Love them! I would really like to make those! Where did you get the cutter for those? I'm now an official follower, although I really was before. I was having trouble with the picture loading correctly. Thanks for the lovely post! Jina

    ReplyDelete
  5. those owls are a HOOT! sorry could not help myself. Everything is gorgeous as usual...those aprons are so swanky neat! Wow, how busy you have been buzzing around your kitchen and with "hazards" in your way you pulled these off like a CHAMP...btw love the cupcakies as well!! And those leaves..well I could jump and roll around in a pile of those no problemo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are truly amazing!!! I love every one of these. Those aprons are totally adorable for an apron lover. I have a dear friend who would love them too!

    I wish I lived closer to you...might pick up some of your talent.

    xo
    Pat
    P.S. Thanks for sharing re: the ice cream cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of your baking is beautiful! You have been very busy. I linked to you from On The Menu Monday! You have a gorgeous blog! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my word...I love those owl cookies! I'll have to share your blog with my DIL who loves owls :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you truly are the Enchanted Oven. I would love to follow you but don't see a place to. I will subscribe by email for now. Your cookies are just gorgeous. Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  10. amazing! i love those owl cookies, and the mum cupcakes are truly works of art!

    ReplyDelete
  11. gorgeous!!! especially love the owls... i had no that candies could be baked in a cookie to make that effect!

    ~Michelle
    www.michellebelanger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love cookies! Yours looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the owls! Gorgeous setting. Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great display of Fall Goodies, your Owls are very special, just adorable. Hope you are having a great week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I absolutely love the owl cookies. Good work!

    ReplyDelete