Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The girl with the dragon cookie




The healthy roll out cookie quest continues, but this time I wanted to make a chocolate version!  

And since this is the





I figured that some dragon cookies would be a fun decorating motif.  

I am also anxious to see The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo movie.  But I digress.  Back to cookies.


These cookies are gluten free and contain no refined sugar AND reduced fat.   And the best part of all, is that I think they taste good.  






The recipe is my healthy riff on Smitten Kitchen's recipe found here.  I made the Smitten's recipe over Christmas and they were fantastic.  You should give them a try!

My chocolate Gluten free cookies

3 cups oat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter room temp.
3/4 cup mashed banana (really mass it well)
3/4 cup agave nectar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
a splash of cold coffee
2/3 cup cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Cream butter, banana, and agave nectar.  Add eggs one at a time and beat well.  Add vanilla and coffee and mix.  Sift dry ingredients together and slowly add to wet mixture.  Chill.  Roll out into desired shapes and place on greased cookie sheets.  Bake 8 - 11 minutes.

I was really nervous that switching to agave was going to make my dough too thin or sticky, but it didn't.  I was also nervous that they would taste like a banana cookie, and they didn't .    They are definitely not as sweet, but I really loved the taste because the chocolate flavor was intense.  Kind of like the difference between eating milk chocolate and dark chocolate.






I also discovered that it is fun to make Chinese characters with icing.
  I chose the words PEACE, LOVE, AND JOY.  


Kind of interesting that the word love is so complicated...






So there you have it my friends - Chinese new year and healthier chocolate cookies.

Pin It


Linking up with
This Chic Cooks
Free Pretty Things for You
The Artsy Girl Connection
Full Plate Thursday with Miz Helen
Between Naps on the Porch
No Minimalist Here
Cozy Home Scene
Sweetology 101
Savvy Southern Style

9 comments:

  1. I love these! I cannot imagine writing symbols with a pen let alone icing, yet you have mastered it. I love your choice of words, my words for 2012 are peace and joy......with love to follow! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very talented to be able to write with icing so well. I can do it, but only on something that's already been frosted and usually after I "write" with a toothpick 500 times until I get it t the way I want. Then I pipe over that.

    Looks like you did this freehand....wow! You really are good.

    Thank you for sharing this recipe at my new party. I'm always looking for healthy and GF ideas. I've tried agave before, but never really cooked with it. I'll have to try that sometime.

    Hope to see you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cookies look fabulous! You are an amazing decorator! Love the dragons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look too good to eat.

    If I bake a batch, may I send them to you to decorate? Mine would remain naked for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, I love the new recipes. They are so intricate...I ponder the "love" symbol too...great insight! I have not read nor seen this book/movie but it is on my ever growing to do list! GREAT job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome recipe. I'm playing with agave lately too. I'll have a recipe next week that you might like.

    So glad that you decided to join our Pin'Inspiration Thursday party this week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning Lisa,
    I could hardly wait to get over here and take a look at your wonderful Cookies. You are so talented and I just love your work! Thank you so much for sharing with our 1st Anniversary Party at Full Plate Thursday. Have a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found you at no minimalist and now I'm your newest follower-stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete