Friday, January 20, 2012

Valentine Swiss cake roll with a special twist




Do you know what is special about this cake?  
See the red scroll work?  It isn't frosting.  Here is a closer look.






That's right boys and girls, it is red cake batter!  

I know - crazy and fabulous!

After baking, cooling, and admiring the genoise, I filled it with red Swiss meringue buttercream that I had in the freezer.  IMHO, ice cream is the way to go with a cake roll, but I didn't have any on hand and didn't want to run to the grocery store.





I try really hard to come up with my own ideas here at the E.O, but when I saw this technique, I knew I had to try it.  The GENIUS who came up with this fabulosity is Sandee at La Receta de la Felicidad





I can't wait to try other designs and flavors.  Oh my, this is FUN!

All I can say is






Swiss cake roll with red valentine swirls!  

The family has started squawking a little about the lack of sugar around here, so this should appease them.  And being a virtuous woman who did an hour of dancing on the Xbox Dance 3 AND spent some quality time with Billy Blank's Cardio Inferno Bootcamp,  I could probably get away with having a piece of my masterpiece.  

I am going to TRY not to.





I said TRY, not PROMISE...




Pin It

22 comments:

  1. Yum!!!!! This is the prettiest cake roll ever! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious....I can't imagine what it would look like if I tried making this! lol!
    HPS to you!
    ♥ Jil

    ReplyDelete
  3. UMMM HELLO! My jaw broke from hitting the floor, I had to take a double take! What a NEAT idea/technique - you did fantastic. Lisa, it is so pretty for this time of year - you da bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen in baking. It never ceases to amaze what you do.

    Lovely
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sweet pink!

    My PINK is inviting you to come and see. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, that is SO pretty! You did a wonderful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is gorgeous! So glad I saw you at Beverly's Pink Saturday. ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I was scrolling as I was dawdling (I need to get up, get dressed and do some housecleaning and I was procrastinating with Pinks!) No idea that was a cake in your icon photo on Beverly's Pink Sat links. That's way too cool. I pinned it too. (Love being able to pin things to find them again! Sure cuts down on the odds and ends I need to save to come back to some day!) Thanks, that was awesome! Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS love that your profile states that you're the owner of a wild imagination. Makes me smile big time. I'm there! Imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - it is absolutely beautiful. Not sure I could eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE this...how cool is this! I am so doing this!!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, the artwork in that cake is amazing. I can't beleive it is cake batter. Happy Pink Saturday, ~Marti

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! How delightful! Thanks for the links

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is beautiful and so creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that is beautiful! I'm off to try and find the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks so neat. I can't believe the design is in the cake.
    Great to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  17. My goodness. This is just stunning. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pretty! And original...love it :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How beautiful is this...the design is fabulous. Thank you for sharing at the Open House Party. Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's really a cool and useful piece of info. I'm happy that you just shared this useful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.
    Nautical Nights Sailboat Window Treatment Panels - Set of 2

    ReplyDelete