Sunday, November 6, 2011

A big turkey cookie




I had an overwhelming desire to make a turkey cookie.  And not just any turkey cookie, a big detailed one.

I have no idea where these compulsive urges come from.  Anyway, I cut out the dough, baked it, cooled it, outlined and flooded it, when cookie disaster struck.   I opened a cabinet door above the cooling rack and a variety of kitchen odds and ends came tumbling out and landed right on top of said cookie.  OK, I know I need to better organize my cabinets, but that's another story.  The flood icing had only partially set up, and the end result was lots of dents.  At this point I may have uttered an expletive or two.





 I could have done the turkey on that side to cover it up, but I didn't.  I decided to LIKE the "texture" it added to the cookie, and leave it alone.

I love happy accidents!  Isn't the vintage book under it sweet?   It is titled A Dear Little Girl's Thanksgiving Holiday and was published in 1924.

I have so many ideas swirling around in my head for the upcoming holidays, I don't know what to do first!  There will  be fun cookies and confections galore, and I am going to do a post on my favorite cookie baking and decorating tips.  I have learned a lot in the last ten months (mostly the hard way...), and I want to share it with all my holiday baking buddies out there!

Gobble, gobble, Pin It





Linking with these great parties

14 comments:

  1. Lisa this turkey cookies is fantastic..I would have never known it wasn't supposed to have the texture, it is a nice touch. I am excited for your baking guide for the holidays! Best week to YOU~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this cookie! I can't wait for your ideas to become posts. Looking forward to sharing the holidays with you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cookie!! Can't wait to see what else you "cook-up" and share :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cookie is awesome! Too pretty to eat. But I'm sure it is yummy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute, it's perfect in my opinion. Beautiful colors!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hard work is our great gain. I love your detailed turkey cookie with the texture! A little masterpiece!
    Thanks for bringing your sweetness and creativity to ON THE MENU MONDAY!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so impressed that this was a completely unplanned project. I not artistic in that way. Bravo.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, I love this cookie!!!!
    I hope you will come link this up at www.thecsiproject.com on Thursday. It is Thanksgiving week. We are a craft challenge blog and you may win the top prize or great giveaway. Come by and see the great Thanksgiving projects everyday this week.
    Smiles,
    Dee
    www.thecsiproject.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That turkey cookie is absolutely beautiful! Love the aqua! andrea@townandprairie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning! This is a cookie that is art! I think I could still eat it though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa, Every time I click on one of your post I am amazed at your creativity and talent. I appreciate you sharing your baking talents at the Open House Party.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cookies never cease to amaze me. Hope to see you at Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOw - Beautiful!!!
    Stephanie @All Artful

    ReplyDelete