Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Macarons for the holidays



I almost forgot about my sweet macarons.  Between the sports treats and halloween goodies, they slipped off of my radar.

These little cuties are chocolate peppermint  macarons, featuring crushed peppermint candy on the top and chocolate buttercream in the center.  If you are a mint/chocolate fan *Isabelle,cough*, you would find these to be delightful.



I have a new secret method to making my macarons - sifting the almond meal.  Wow, what a difference that makes in terms of fewer bumps on the tops.  Hmmmm, I wonder if I was the only one who didn't know the secret.  Well, it's out of the bag now.

My second baking session is what I call the angel macaron.




This is a vanilla cookie with white food coloring added (to make it look more angelic) and vanilla buttercream tinted a gentle aqua blue.




I added matching blue pearl dragees to the tops.  I really wasn't sure how the dragees would do in the cooking process on such a light and delicate batter, and some of them did in fact sink into the top crust.  Overall, I was pleased with the look - very heavenly!

If you haven't given macarons a try, I would encourage you to give it a whirl (yes TRISH, I am speaking to you!).  The worst thing that can happen is they crack a bit on the top or don't have their "feet", but they will still be delicious and special and just the thing for a holiday gathering or tea party.




I am glad they are back on my radar!

Linking with
Pink Saturday
The Charm of Home
My Romantic Home
Feathered Nest Friday

7 comments:

  1. Yummm. Macaroons are my favourites but I have never tried to make them. Yours looks delicious. I love you teacup sitting cookies. What an adorable idea!

    You always have such SWEET posts!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAAAA I just laughed out loud online FOR REAL, reading this!! ( YES TRISH...!!!!!!) Well here is the deal, I just may make these little elusive mystery sweets real soon! When I saw your post title I was excited to see them, they are as lovely as I knew they would be. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish they were on my radar and heading into my mouth! They look so lovely. And I am sure they taste divine. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend of mine just gave me a cookbook for these beautiful macaroons. Yours look fantastic!! I wish I could take a bite right now.
    Happy pink Saturday..xo Tami

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here from Pink Saturday! I love the angel ones. And yes, I need to get back into making macaroons. (Yes, spelled macaroons. These seemed to have been around in the UK for ages, made with ground almonds, before they went to Paris and got gussied up.)

    Yours look divine! The angel ones? Lovely name and I have to ask..you can get WHITE food coloring? Seriously?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy!

    Pink with Puzzle time, looking forward to see you when you get a chance. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete